Saturday, September 20, 2014

What's in a name?

I really don't like my name. Most days it's not too bad, but some days I really hate it. According to a not-so-reliable-but-interesting website called HowManyOfMe.com (make sure your virus protection is working before you go there), there are a ton of people with my first and last name in America. Margaret is the 28th most common first name with 1,224,629 people named Margaret. Smith is the 1st most common last name with 2,809,161 people named Smith. I'm everywhere. Back when we used Facebook people had to look up friends of mine with unique names and go through their profile just to find mine. A name is supposed to identify, but mine just makes me harder to find.

So, chances are, I would change my last name without a thought.

However, my name is definitely one that comes with privileges. It sounds very American with absolutely no hint of any other ethnicity. There has been countless studies that have shown the disadvantage to having a name that isn't Anglo-Saxon. The website BehindTheName.com helps highlight this. When you search a name and click on 'ratings' under the more information section, you can see what people think about each name. Here's a screenshot of the rating for the name John: 
Ratings and impressions for JOHN:
Good Name 72%28% Bad Name
Masculine 94%6% Feminine
Classic 80%20% Modern
Mature 74%26% Youthful
Formal 63%37% Informal
Upperclass 46%54% Common
Urban 29%71% Natural
Wholesome 79%21% Devious
Strong 84%16% Delicate
Refined 59%41% Rough
Strange 44%56% Boring
Simple 73%27% Complex
Serious 67%33% Comedic
Nerdy 54%46% Unintellectual
Based on the responses of 616 people.

And here are the ratings for Juan

Ratings and impressions for JUAN:
Good Name 60%40% Bad Name
Masculine 90%10% Feminine
Classic 53%47% Modern
Mature 41%59% Youthful
Formal 47%53% Informal
Upperclass 28%72% Common
Urban 58%42% Natural
Wholesome 43%57% Devious
Strong 78%22% Delicate
Refined 37%63% Rough
Strange 65%35% Boring
Simple 69%31% Complex
Serious 43%57% Comedic
Nerdy 47%53% Unintellectual
Based on the responses of 86 people.

Before I even begin to look at these, we have to take in to account that only 86 people have responded to Juan and 616 have responded to John. However the differences are there.
John is considered a good name by 12% more of the votes. 30% of votes considered John to be more mature. 20% of votes considered John to be more formal. Juan is 20% more common than John. 51% of votes consider Juan to be more devious, while only 21% see John as devious. 63% of people considered Juan to be more rough and strange. People also see John as smarter and funnier than Juan. 

All of those stats were based simply on a name and people's preconceptions of that name.

Buzzfeed Yellow released a video that is very similar to what I just showed.

This example of 'ethnic' names not getting chosen but Anglo-Saxon names getting interviews  is a common theme. The National Bureau of Economic Research released an article that started with the following fact:
"Job applicants with white names needed to send about 10 resumes to get one callback; those with African-American names needed to send around 15 resumes to get one callback."
This problem faces all Americans today. Whether we mean to or not, we often unfairly profile people based on what their name sounds like. 
Ps The website BehindTheName.com has some really cool features that you guys should check out like the name translator. And here's my reaction to my name's rating:
Ratings and impressions for MARGARET:
Good Name 73%27% Bad Name
Masculine 5%95% Feminine
Classic 89%11% Modern
Mature 82%18% Youthful
Formal 85%15% Informal
Upperclass 78%22% Common
Urban 38%62% Natural
Wholesome 85%15% Devious
Strong 68%32% Delicate
Refined 81%19% Rough
Strange 56%44% Boring
Simple 49%51% Complex
Serious 82%18% Comedic
Nerdy 70%30% Unintellectual
Based on the responses of 342 people.
Not too surprised with the classic/mature/formal considering the name was popular in the early 1900s. Also, I've never met a person named Margaret who was under 50 so there's that. 
Although I take the fact that 44% of people found me boring personally.
And look even my name thinks I'm nerdy.

4 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh. Margaret, you are the best. I really like how you turned this topic into a social commentary. I never really thought about how much a name could affect someone. I always thought they were just irrelevant titles (I mean...I still think that, but I guess not everyone agrees). I'm sure I've been a subconscious name-judge before. So, from now on, I'm going to try really hard to be consciously aware that people are more than what they seem like, and more than what I hear about them. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Hailey! This post was fun to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an interesting post Mar-great. other than the fact that i wont be able to find a job i learned a lot of interesting things about the power of names. i enjoyed the graphics that you included in this post and i feel you on the having a common name thing it sucks but whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is one of the best I have seen. I might take a screenshot of this and hang it on my wall so that I can be reminided of this for an eternity. Where some would speak of how their name sounds funny, or immature, or different, you did the research and provided an in-depth look at not only how your name impacts your life, but how names can affect lives in general. Another branch of name-ology that would be an interesting study would be common nicknames for certain names and why those are so. For instance, I find it weird that a common nickname for your name, Margaret, is Peggy. Unlike Tommy, Will, Mike, Nick, and such, Peggy is not a shortened version of Margaret. This is weird and I need you to make some graphs on why this is a real thing.

    ReplyDelete