Saturday, April 18, 2015

Everything I Need to Know I Learned in IB Language & Literature Year 2

You know Ms.G, I honestly am currently blaming your class for all of the nostalgia lately and reading the blog post now has officially cemented you at the top of teachers who are making me really bummed to be leaving high school. I have a feeling this blog post is about to be kinda long and probably not coherent (Yay for having 8 hours of work starting at 10 the day after prom) so buckle up.

I've recently been thinking a lot about middle school for a couple of different reasons. Although it all started with the striking and weird parallels between Magellan and Hailsham (I probably am a clone tbh) although it's pretty common for me to get annoyingly introspective during endings. 
Missing my Magellan friends right about now but 2 of the 3 are going to UNC with me so that's pretty cool. 
This whole nostalgia thing isn't good for focusing cause it leads to me getting side tracked really easily (I accidentally spent 30 minutes on Facebook while locating that picture). But I think it has to do a lot with the idea of I was. I've been really bad at looking at old yearbooks and watching old videos from Magellan recently although it has been nice to see what life really was like back then, especially since it has changed so much.

The best example of this was when I went through every old journal I could find. This was prompted by Mortified Nation (it's on netflix and pretty entertaining, you guys should check it out). Here's a trailer I'd recommend watching so this next part makes sense:
So, I've decided, if I'm supposed to be talking about I was, the best way to do that is to use old diaries/journals. Here goes:
First I found one was from 2004 and most of it is completely incoherent. At one I wrote "I have a little trobul with sppelling" (I bet you can tell). Throughout that entry the words I mispelled include wright (write), frainds (friends), cusuf (cursive), sleppy (sleepy), akdamly (academically-this one's especially ironic because I was talking about how I was in the AG program and yet I spelled that one wrong), chans (chance), Hollwen (Halloween), chear (cheer), and tomoro (tomorrow). So: I was bad at spelling. 

A scintillating entry from August 7th, 2006 reads:
"Dear Dary (Diary),
My tamagaty (tamagatchi) evoled (evolved). Can't talk right now! :'("
Which I thought was strange because why on earth would I take the time to just write that down and then I continuted reading and realized that this was when I was really trying to keep a daily journal. For instance, the next two entries go: "Dear Dariy (Diary), I just woke up! Talk to you later" and "Dear Diary, gotta run!". So: I was really bad at trying to make new habits.

There's some great lists of cool IM terms including how to make Santa out of punctuation *<:)

I found this great one in a more journal like thing that I had. There's some writing at the beginning followed by a bunch of empty pages and then, out of nowhere, at the top of the page I wrote "The past is sad". Nothing else. That was it. I have no idea why or when but I found that pretty entertaining. 

Next I found a journal where I had written poems that I had found and liked. The most important one is probably Hope is the Thing with Feathers by Emily Dickenson. I had these poetry books when I was a kid and I read that poem so many times I ended up memorizing it.
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all
And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
that could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity
It asked a crumb of me.
So: I was totally an English nerd.

I found a journal from 7th grade and I would like to take a mini pause from this blog post and just apologize to everyone who knew me in 7th grade. There aren't really any interesting parts to that journal, it's mostly just complaining. It is weird though because I'm reading about me watching the first part of the Deathly Hallows which is so strange to me now? Like Harry Potter was such an integral part of my childhood and it's just weird to think about a time when I still didn't know what happened and still hadn't watched all the movies?

To preface this, in most of middle school I switched between wanting to be an author or a lawyer. This entry is from March 11, 2010:
I love writing. I love pouring a part of my soul out into something that might get me somewhere. That way I will know I've acomplished something. I also really badly want to be an English major at UNC.
And here is the part that really got me the first time I read through this:
If my life was a dream I would go to UNC.
Because in a little less than four months, at least according to 7th grade me, I'll be living my dream. So: I really was totally an English nerd and a huge Carolina fan.

Then the journal jumped forward a year so now it's 8th grade. This entry is from April 26, 2011 (almost exactly 4 years ago):
29 days of school left. Two weeks till EOGs and EOCs. I'm almost a high schooler! Quite frankly, I can't wait to get out of Magellan
I think by the end of that 5th year with the same 67 people, I was ready for a change.

Then I take a break from complaining about Magellan relating things and switch over to my brother which allowed this great phrase to happen "Ty is a total donkey".

And I have finally reached high school in these journals! This one is from the first day of school:
I have so many things to tell you! First of all, I am officially a high schooler! It's so crazy!
Also quick shout out to Sophie who was one of the first non-Magellan friends I had at Millbrook. This is starting to get really weird to read now? Now that it's out of Magellan and into Millbrook I'm starting to become acutely aware of graduation.

I just found my 9th grade English notebook that had all of our journaling prompts. They aren't particularly interesting over all. I did find that 3 years ago today the prompt was Spring Break and I wrote about my family's Easter tea. Here's a picture from Easter that year:


One of the last prompts from freshman English was the Last Day and here was my response:
I hate endings. They are the worst part of everyone's life. We have almost finished 9th grade! We're almost sophomores. And that doesn't sound like much. Sophomores. So what. We have three whole years ahead of us. But what's really scaring me is how quickly this year has passed. Sure, each individual school day felt like a prison sentence and yes I did count down the minutes till class was done, but I think back and it doesn't feel like that long ago I was walking into Coach East's civics classroom, only knowing 7 people and missing my friends from middle school. During middle school you could just walk in the doors  is particularly applicable to right now. Each teacher had their own individual countdown on the board. 
 And, almost 3 years later, the end of high school is almost here. We're so close. Right now all of my homework is intensely focused on exams and that's not been easy to get myself to concentrate on. So thank you Ms. Genesky for allowing me to spend the past couple of hours going through some old memories.

I've been liking ending my blog posts with something unrelated to the post itself and I figure that should continue:
Here's a vine to watch if you ever need something adorable to cheer up: https://vine.co/v/O9aQz6B0nhw 

And here is a song that has been making me really sentimental lately. For those of you who watch Parks this song is from (spoiler alert if you haven't watched some of the later seasons) when Ann and Chris are moving away and it's playing in the background at the end of that episode. (end spoiler alert) Either way, I think this song will be something that's helpful to listen to as this chapter of our lives comes to a close.

So thank you again Ms. Genesky for making senior year awesome and I would also like to add a little disclaimer again that this was written in the middle of the night after prom and 8 hours of work and very little sleep. Or, to quote Jose, "Yeah I sound really tired because I'm sick and it's like 10 o'clock at night. I dunno. It's late. Bye."

8 comments:

  1. Throwing back to the Magellan days is something that I tend to do a lot as I have more time. Great post and very interesting looking at your old diaries. Also i love the Jose quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I really wish I journalled as much as you did! I usually write down what's going on and the lose what I recorded my life on. Going down memory lane is something I really enjoy because I really like my past, and it's kinda cool to see you making light of yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing that I imagine we will all be doing in 3 months, 1 year, 10, 20, or however long until we see each other, is watching Jose's IOC practice video and still laughing hysterically at it. Margaret, I didn't know you before IB. Well actually (get it?), I think we might have had a class before that. You have such a passion for the arts and for your academics that very few can match, and really just a passion for knowledge in general. I hope you have a great time at UNC, and years from now when we're sitting in Millbrook's cafeteria at our reunion, laughing at Jose, I can't wait to see all that you've accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this made me cry. Like real tears. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you journaled when you were younger because you can look back at your grown throughout the years. Jose's IOC is always going to be that timeless comedy that is hard to find, being that he was so awkward in that video. (Sorry, Jose.) I know that you will accomplish great things at UNC and I really hope that Millbrook has a reunion because I will continue to be amazed by your accomplishments. oh, and thank you for taking us down memory lane with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You're another person I regret not getting to know very well throughout high school (I find myself saying this on a lot of the blogs I've read so far? What did I do with these past four years?). I find myself to be pretty similar to you. Exhibit A: I have had and will always have an unhealthy addiction to Harry Potter. I don't know how crazy yours is, but I almost teared up reading about how you relate your childhood to Harry Potter because it made me remember my childhood and become super nostalgic. So if you ever need anyone to dork out with, I am the biggest HP geek I know. And I'm proud of it.
    I've always kinda wanted to be friends with you tbh. I haven't been blessed with the opportunity to have too many classes with you, but I feel like we would've been good friends. I can see that you're passionate through the few conversations I've held with you, and I tend to gravitate towards passion because I think it's probably the most attractive trait a person can have. You also seem to do a lot of service and global awareness type stuff, which I love. I feel like you could've helped me to be a better person. Actually, I bet you have through your example in the brief moments we have had. I can totally see you being like... Mother Teresa or something someday. I'm glad to hear that you get to live your dreams at UNC! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a super awesome post! I can’t believe you still have your journals from when you were really young, but that is really cool! I like your “Ty is a total donkey” line. I think that it is amazing that you have wanted to go to UNC your entire life, and now you’ll be there in a few months. I know that you will do great things there (even though it’s Biology instead of English). Also, I’m so glad that we have gotten close these past two years, and I am really going to miss you next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is actually hilarious and wonderful. I literally made those same exact spelling errors as a child and I died laughing when I saw you made them too! This post also took me back to french freshman year. All I remember is this: je ne sais pas, you being a french spy, and talking about psych. Honestly I'm so happy I met you, because you were super nice and you are seriously so intelligent and awesome. You kind of inspired me to take more challenging classes which ultimately led me to doing IB (so I actually have to give you grief for that but it's okay). Anyway, I'm so happy I met you freshman year and have been struggling with you in IB french since junior year! And on that note, I will see you tomorrow morning in the one place I know we both won't miss, aka IB french..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read this post about ten times and each time I don't end up commenting and have to read it again. Thanks for making it really long- you're a champ.
    Margaret-
    Your blogs and writing in general was a joy to read; more importantly, you were the bomb-diggity to have in class. You are one fun chick and I hope that you do something English-y in college- you should, if you weren't thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete