Sunday, March 15, 2015

"Breathing dreams like air..."

How would you describe the American Dream?
I think the American Dream is a very fluid concept and right now we've changed a lot of what it really is. I see that with a lot of the older generations comments about mine. Because of how the world is right now (with the stock market crash, 9/11, the new way wars are being fought, and the rise of technology) we've changed the idea of the American Dream. However, I think the foundation of the American Dream has stayed the same. The idea of a place where if you work hard enough then you can make it. It's the 'make it' part that's changed. Because of the internet, we have so many options of things to do/read/watch/listen to, so we've been exposed to a more diverse world than generations before us. This means that the idea of an American Dream is changing faster and is significantly more individual than it has been before. If I'd have to guess at what a general consensus of what the American Dream is for people in high school and college right now (basing this off of posts on Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr) would be the ability to travel frequently.

What is your definition of wealth?
Well this could go in multiple ways. Obviously there is monetary wealth but that's taking the easy way out of this question. I'd consider a wealthy person to be content. Like there isn't really a word for it that I know of and it isn't quite happy.

What are American's ideas towards wealth and poverty?
Generalizing anything about American's ideas has gotten significantly more difficult now that the two parties have decided to go and polarize. But I think pretty much everyone here would like to be more wealthy, meaning that wealth is looked at positively and poverty negatively. There's definitely a sense of ignoring the poor to an extent. Like if you see a homeless person on the side of a highway, most people make it a point to not make eye contact. America like's to ignore poverty until it's convenient to them.

What is your attitude towards wealth and poverty?
We've been conditioned since we were young that money can't buy happiness and I'm sure a lot of people will write about that here. I don't agree with that sentiment at all. Now, to clarify, I'm not saying that happiness is directly correlated with money. But money does create a security net. It's this interesting paradox in a way. It's been proven that people in poorer countries are happier and that on average a person wants 20% more than they have (so if you're poor, you're a lot closer to your goal than if you're richer). But I think in a country like this one, trying to pretend like money and material wealth don't really make one appear to be happier is pretty ridiculous. I was recently reading an article about a dad who had been diagnosed with treatable lung cancer but was choosing to die from his illness instead of trying to fight it while simultaneously bankrupting his family because of medical costs. If you still think that money can't buy happiness, try to tell that to that family.

In lieu of talking about wealth, here's One Day More from Les Mis but the vocals are all on kazoos:
http://fiiyerotigelaar.tumblr.com/post/113468673751
(Or if you're using a school computer, here's a similar video on YouTube so you can actually watch it)

2 comments:

  1. Okay so first things first, I really liked how you described the American Dream, pulling in the original concept and then explaining how its changed especially in today's society. I absolutely agree that the concept is very fluid, and now I feel lame for describing the more traditional idea of the concept.
    By the way I totally saw that definition of wealth coming, way to be like "I'm Margaret and I have to mention that the 'monetary' definition is too easy." However, once again I absolutely agree. I think my description was similar, the way I always thought of wealthy was that it described people who are satisfied, that they have enough success in their life to be content. But do you want to know what's sure to make people pretty darn content? That's right, its money. Maybe that's why all the people who are considered to be wealthy have an actual fortune in their bank..
    Anyways, cool post, I really have nothing that I can dispute or question because I really do agree with your descriptions.

    Also, reminder that "Margaret Smith," the supposed name of the author of this blog, is a pseudonym for Mandrake Shingles, her birth name. Do not be fooled by her, she is a changeling that walks among us.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I completely agree with Sam! I really agree with what you said about how we define wealth. As a society, we believe we have to grow up and be rich to be happy, when in reality it's the choice to be happy. The choice to make decisions to be happy. Also, your structure was extremely easy to follow and well-organized.

    Anyway, you didn't write this post if there wasn't some historical or political discussion! Good job!

    ReplyDelete